We recently sat down and talked to World renowned D,j, Dj Jam-jam aka Oyinbo swagga,
1. Good day Dj Jam-Jam, How did you come up with your name? A brief history on your background?
It was a nickname given to me because i like Jamaican roots reggae music.
I’m a full blooded british boy based in London, UK. DJ JamJam AKA Oyinbo Swagger AKA the Official Alanta DJ.
2. For someone with your ethnic background, How did you develop the interest for Nigerian music?? What other genres of music are you into?
At the time i was trying to impress a girl with my musical knowledge and naija dance moves! It developed into a real passion which i incorporated into my DJ sets. It has been a real pleasure to watch the industry grow. There is an abundance of talent coming out of Nigeria.
No genre of music goes unlistened for me, you can find inspiration from any type of music. Mostly I play RnB, HipHop, Old School, UK Urban, Dancehall, Funky House and of course my beloved AfroBeats!
3. What inspired you to become a Dj?
My Father was a DJ in his youth so i guess its in the blood, also the feeling of energy from the crowd when your rocking the place is very addictive.
I can still remember being that dude at house parties crouched in the corner over a stereo trying to get the party jumping.
4. Who/What are your influences when it comes to music?
Bob Marley, Al Green, The Beatles, Elvis are all true legends that i listen to time and time again. In the Naija scene am feelin Terry G, Timaya, Dagrin and everything Wande Coal touches turns to gold!
I like to learn at least one thing from everybody i meet. They can have walked with Kings or common people. Everybody has something to give.
5. What is your take on the Nigerian music industry from the past, present and future?
The Nigerian music industry appears generally to be divided into the traditionally infused sounds of juju, fuji, Afrobeat etc. The likes of Fela , Femi Kuti, Sunny Ade, Sir Shina Peters, Pasuma, K1 and co.
And into the modern sounds of the likes of 2face (previously of Plantashun Boiz),The Remedies, P-Square, Olu Maintain, Dbanj and co.
There is now fierce competition from quality players in this game.
I think now people can even name the producers of particular tracks which seems a real indication of a deep love for the music by the masses…..the sky’s the limit ooo!!!
6. Can you give us a brief list of the shows you’ve performed at and where you will be performing in the near future??
I have performed for high profile events which have taken me to the top of London’s nightclub scene, to corporate Studio launches, to concerts at the O2 Arena and TV/Radio Shows alike. In december i performed at the sold out Alanta Carnival in Lagos.
I will be performing in Amsterdam for a quick flyover tour later this month.
And i can reveal that i will be performing for a special World Cup Show in South Africa with some A-list artists already confirmed in June.
7. Where are u based at right now? and do you have any plans of going to Nigeria to show them what you’ve got?
I’m based in London but have been touring the UK. I’m excited to return back to Lagos hopefully by Easter. Where else can i ride okada? Visit Fela Kuti’s shrine, eat egusi, shop in Shoprite and party in Caliente!!
8. Where does Dj-Jam Jam see himself down the line in 5years??
In the near future i hope to move into radio.
I would love it if i can help bring naija music to an even wider audience around the world. Even if i be small player in helping that happen, i would have achieved something very worthwhile in my eyes.
9. Any last words for your fans, what should we be looking out for from you? Any special shoutouts!
I would like to give a special shoutout to Artquake (Alanta) who saw my potential and flew me out to Lagos, they have become my very close brodas!
I would like to thank everyone who ever believed in me and supported me even when i was just “dat oyinbo boy” trying to play Afrobeats….Cokobar, Guvnor Bar, Badabing Ents, Bigg Boss Ents, Gabz Inc, Smooth Ents, Panache Parties, The Diplomats but most importantly to the people that listen to my mixtapes, support me and come week in week out to my shows. God bless you all!
And i can exclusively reveal to Gidilounge that i will be releasing a single featuring an array of Naija artists very soon…stay tuned!!!
DJ JAMJAM (OYINBO-SWAGGA)
Below is the link to download his latest and most exclusive mixtape:
Oyinbo Swagger Vol.1
FREE DOWNLOAD HERE:
►Single File MP3:
2) Banky W – Strong Ting
3) Banky W – Lagos Party
4) Id Cabasa – Under Rated
5) Cartiair – Owo Ati Swagger
6) P-Square – I Love You
7) D’Prince Ft Wande Coal – I Like What I See
8) Dola Billz Ft Saffie – Sing 4 me (JamJam Drop)
9) Rugged Man Ft Ice Prince – She n My Swagga (JamJam Drop)
10) Kas – Fi Mi Le
11) Jah Hanief Ft Hydro – JamJam Ah Go Make You Dance Tonight (Fall In Love Remix)
12) Klever Jay Ft Rugged Man – Sho Wa Sexy
13) MC Loph Ft Flavour – Osondi Owendi
14) Artquake Ft Ajasa, Young Nate, LKT – Onetin Onetin
15) P-Square – E No Easy
16) Nico Gravity – Finish Timaya
17) Timaya – Plantain Boy
18) Terry G – Free Madness
19) D’Bling – Sexy Nigerian Girl
20) Shakar El Swagga – Anyhow (JamJam Drop)
21) Jaywon – Filebe
22) Sheyman – Wonkulu
23) Durella – My Life
24) Side1 Ft Terry G – One By One
25) Jaywon Ft Terry G – Gbon Gbon Gbon
26) Dagrin – Kondo
27) Terry G – Hallelujah
28) K-Solo – Nor Nor
29) JJC – We Are Africans
30) Lexzy Doo – 4 Show
31) Danny Young – Oju Ti Won (JamJam Funky Mix)
32) 9ice – Gbamu Gbamu
33) Dr Sid – Something About You
34) Dr Sid – When The Song Comes On
35) R2Bees Ft Wande Coal – Kiss your Hand Remix